Savory Carrots Souffle
– 2 Carrots, shredded
– 2 tablespoon Butter
– 1 small Onion, chopped
– 2 tablespoons Flour
– 1.5 cup Milk
– 1 cup Heavy Cream
– Nutmeg, freshly grated
– 2 Egg Yolk
– 1 tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, grated
– 2 Egg Whites, beaten to stiff peaks
– Salt and freshly ground Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with an inch of water. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Strain the carrots and purée in a food processor or with an immersion blender.
3. While the carrots are cooking, melt the butter in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and nearly translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and let it cook for a minute or two. Add the milk and whisk it to get a smooth, creamy consistency.
4. Turn off the heat and add the heavy cream. Grate some fresh nutmeg over the mixture. Add the egg yolks and whisk to mix well.
5. Add the pureed carrots and the parmesan cheese. Mix it well and season it with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Lastly, gently fold in the egg whites with a rubber or silicon spatula. Let it be airy.
7. Scrape the carrot mixture into the dish and smooth with the spatula. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly puffy. Serve immediately.